Thursday, July 07, 2011

How many bites does it take?

I have been absolutely plagued (excuse the pun) by the following scripture in the past few days. The more I think I grasp it, the more I am thwarted in my current paradigm of our Creator God...

The Isrealites, as usual, are complaining and unhappy with their freedom from slave life in Egypt and miraculous blessings which the God of Moses continues to provide for them.
They begin complaining about not having meet to eat (with a side whine for fruit and spices...and not that I can say that I wouldn't be joining them in their chants...girl likes to get her steak on, ya know).
But we find them whining again, and complaining throughout the camp, enough to make their uncertain leader -Moses- uncomfortable and loathesome of his position. (certainly there is an entire lesson in this chapter about the struggles of leadership and deligation). But the issue that gets to me is found in the following verses:

People Complain: 11:4-6
(Which, may we be so rich as to remember the MIRACLE and BLESSING that their receiving of the Manna was!!)
Moses complains to the LORD about the people's complaining: 11:11-15
-First the LORD provides direction for Moses to share this burden of leadership, then--
The LORD tells Moses what to tell the Isrealite campers: 11:18-20
Moses doubts (come on Moses! Have you learned nothing?!) and the LORD (sarcastially) rebukes his feable-mindedness: 11:21-23
So a whole bunch of things fall into place, Moses follows directions and eventually him and those who were choosen to share the burden of his difficulties return to camp where a great wind from the LORD is literallyFLYING in fish from the sea! Which, of course, sends all of these complain-y pants people out gathering for 2 days!! :11:31-32
WOO-HOO!!! Everyone's happy!!
......not so much.... then-->
"..while the meet was still between their teeth, and before it could be consumed, the anger of the LORD burned against the people, and he struck them.with.a.severe.plague." 11:33.

What?!?!
God provides for them a miracle, answering a cry his people have voiced....and it kills those who partake in it??!!!

This is where my Bible fell to my lap and my mind-hamster began jogging....
I get God being angry.
I get him plaguing, leading to death, of those who complained.
...but why after all that effort???
...why lead Moses and the other leaders through so much? (i believe it was to teach them-namely, thick-headed Moses- a good solid lesson of His power, control, reliability, and over all dominating capability)..
But the aspect I continue to ponder is this:
The manna didnt kill anyone (if they followed the instructions it came with).
...yet there isnt too much of a difference to how they first got the manna.
They whined, Moses complained, the LORD gave instructions....
the manna came. prayers answered. they ate. ...no dying!

I'm only thinking...experience would have taught the fickle Isrealities that such a miraculous blessing from God would be good!
...When do we know if a blessing from God- an answer to our complaining and desires- will lead us to 'death'?



**note(I do believe a great lesson from this story is our need to be thankful and full of praise for what we HAVE. not had. not "could have". but rejoyous with conentment for what, where, we ARE)**

3 Comments:

At 8:45 PM, Blogger Chris Attridge said...

Not to burst your bubble...but I think what is really troublesome is the idea of a omniscience God. Not to sound disbelieving; but if God knew that this is how HIS people would react, why stretch out the consequence (to gprovide them a "blessing") which he knew he would end up delivering? I am not trying to say that I do not understand, and relate to your thoughts, I just wanted to add a few questions of my own. However, whom ever provides the answer will be wiser than us.

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Phee Paradise said...

I think this incident shows us how much God longs for His people to understand His love and respond with love and gratitude. It reminds me how often I don't appreciate His blessings. Thanks for the reminder.

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Mary Ellen said...

Kat, where is this? Being about Moses, I figured Exodus, but I see in chapter 16 manna and quail being delivered, but I don't read anywhere about the fish or the plague. Color me lost.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home